Want to sign up to our Newsletter?

Monday, November 25, 2019

Grapes Are Easy

Feasting on His promises
The first purchase was one of second thought as I perused the produce aisle en route to the register.  "Hmmm, we haven't eaten grapes in a few years, that's a healthy treat at $0.99/pound!"  I proudly made my three pound purchase and returned home to wash, de-stem, and ready these deliciously, sweet morsels for snacking. Before I could even place the inviting yellow bowl in the refrigerator, their discovery was announced.  "Mom, that's a lot of grapes!" Wise Mama that I acclaim to be, I proudly announced the "pocket change" I dished out for said purchase.  Less than 6 hours later ... Six. Hours. Later.  I reached into the abyss of this once grape-laden yellow bowl to discover the only remnants of this bargain were the water drops I vaguely remember using as I prepared them for snacking.  Less than two weeks in PA and we've devoured approximately twelve pounds of grapes.  These sweet little treasures have not stood alone.  They have valiantly sacrificed themselves on the alter of Wheat thins, pretzels, chunks of cheese and port wine spread that our taste buds have watered for.  However you look at it, in two weeks time, we've devoured ... Twelve pounds of grapes ... "There could be worse things, right?" I justifiably declare!

If only this first month of home leave were as easy as devouring 12 pounds of grapes! Things I did for 30 years have caused me to stumble over myself.  To name a few ... Pumping gas (the first time I pulled up to the pump, stared at the monstrosity and pulled out without pumping, gave myself a pep talk and returned to the pump!) ... Responding in English to the cashier when Adam is babbling in Spanish ... Conversations with Doctor offices and scheduling appointments instead of just stopping in ... Practicing patience when dealing with pre-authorized insurance issues ... Fast paced highways ... Lots of phone calls instead of whatsapp messages ...  I sound like a wimp but these situations have left me floundering clueless on the wave of culture shock!

In the routine of having coffee with Jesus, He patiently breathed life into my spirit with this familiar command ... "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for I, your God, go with you, I will never leave you nor forsake you!"  The delight of this promise is like a handful of sweet grapes ... When the lonely feelings surface leaving me feeling disconnected, confused, overwhelmed and wanting to throw my hands up in defeat, He patiently reminds me of His provision.  His hand reaches to take mine, He pulls me up out of my pool of tears and invites me to walk with Him.  It really can be as simple as feasting on grapes ... Assuredly, there is no fear of sour grapes if I hold fast to the Everlasting Arms!

Munching on grapes ... Holding His hand ... Feeling strength arise

Life in Lancaster Co.
How do I sum it up ... dry skin, warm water, heated houses, carpeted floors and plenty of Lancaster Co. cuisine ... The gift of hard work on a farm for the 4 MM, feeling satisfied! ... hunting with Grandpa ... Laughter with girlfriends and saying tearful good byes ... hikes, sleepovers, all nighters, good will and re-use-it ... A trip to the beach for soul care ... A week of 'unplugging' in upstate New York and playing in the snow followed by a day of bathing suits playing at an indoor water park ... puzzles, games, sitting by the fire ... sharing God's story with friends, family and churches ... Feasting on grapes and resting in His promises!

Praises
Finding routine when we're out of routine
Being close to family
The freshness of his familiar promises
Friends who know our heart, hear our struggles and love us through them
Encountering Father's presence in unsuspected places
The gift of Hinkletown school
50 years of "wedded bliss" for my parents

Prayers
Second opinion Dr. is recommending I have back surgery, scheduled for December 9th
For our souls to rest in His presence even when our minds are in constant motion
Healing for Daryl's sinus' and colds
Peace and unity in our family as we go in a few different directions over the next two weeks
Wisdom on when to say yes and no
Pray for monthly partners so we can be 100% funded for our second term starting in January emm.org/donate




Time with Pop-pop ...

No matter the hour, time with Pop-pop is priceless! 

Happy birthday hug from Grammie Hoover ...

Cutting down the pines and having fun while doing it! 

One more thing to drive!  ...
He is loving the attention and affirmation from Mr. High! 

One heading west and one heading south ...
"Though time goes by and things may change, one thing remains the same, there's a place in my heart for you!"
... ALWAYS 

Adam's first sight of snow ...
This is just the beginning sweet boy! 

7 " later ... he still loves it!
Sucking on an ice laden tree branch for water on our hike!
 

Fun, fellowship and learning! 

Feeling so blessed that God gave us this gift of snow in upstate New York! 

The peace of the moment ...
Micah was Adam's pack horse ...
They really do love each other! 

From snowsuits to swimsuits in a matter of 6 hours! ...
Forget the flip flops, you CAN wear snow boots with swimsuits! ... 
Sharing belly laughs through the twists and turns at a water slide park!
 

Tubby baths and shaving bubbles ...
He cares about the details and seems to blessing us in abundance with them!













1 comment:

  1. Though it's probably time to change the header from "our daily lives as we prepare to move from Akron, PA, to Heredia, Costa Rica." to "our daily lives as we minister in Heredia, Costa Rica." :)

    ReplyDelete