Want to sign up to our Newsletter?

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Choosing Joy in January

A+ dental check-up!
January ... I don't like January.  It's nothing personal. It's just that, without regard to my thoughts and feelings, January seems to be laughing at me as it thrives in the cold, barren, winter wasteland that I do not enjoy!  I am keenly aware that I am not alone in my feelings toward this month, nonetheless, January doesn't change! I often find myself struggling to choose joy, restless but not wanting to do anything, anxiously awaiting warm sun on my face and green grass underfoot.  For some reason, I assumed it would be different with life in Costa Rica.  I mean, come on, I'm living in a tropical paradise! However, with all the Christmas festivities packed away and New Years vacation logged in the scrapbook, I've found myself feeling much the same as I did living through January in the States.  

In attempt to add some life to January, I have usually scheduled Eye Dr. and Dentist appointments for the family. Creature of habit that I am, I scheduled both of these appointments in the last two weeks.  We are so blessed to find both Dentist and Eye Dr. who are kind, knowledgeable and accommodating.  I attempted to find joy in these adventures, however I found myself longing for the familiarity of Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Poole's offices where we felt comfortable, relaxed and ... at home. 

This morning as we sang "You give and take away" Father gently reminded me ... "He gives His peace while He takes away my worry" ... if only I would not hold so tightly to them! With these aforementioned feelings toward January I felt like I was barely holding back the floodwaters. I could mention all the worries that are weighting down my shoulders, however ... Today, I'm choosing joy as I receive His peace in place of worry!  It's a beautiful, sun filled, balmy breeze kind of day and ... January is ending this week!  

Joy in January ... why worry ... Sunshine and green grass

Life on the Mountain
It was warmer this week with less wind and rain, a plus in my weather book ... Daryl completed 3 weeks of language study and was teaching me things this week : ) ... aforementioned appointments ... Lunch date with Home School mamas ... Play date for Jedidiah with a new family in the neighborhood ... many visits to the park to soak up this beautiful sun ... Adam had a date with dad ... cherishing the endless chatter of Adam, Mati and Santi before school starts next week for all of them ... the gift of lemon and orange trees on our property, who doesn't love fresh squeezed lemonade in the middle of January!

Praises
-Mount House (Christian school) offered us further discount 
-Good dental checkups
-Patient Eye Dr ... I didn't like the first frames I chose, he allowed me to change them!
-Health
-Opportunity to be on worship team again
-A church family that loves and cares for us
-Computer issues resolved with battery change
-Listening to our boys communicate in Spanish
-His Word speaks truth

Prayers
-Finalizing plans for two families and two work teams arriving this week
-Unity in those plans
-Delynn and Gloria as they say goodbye to Carmelinda and return to CR
-Making our school decision
-Choosing joy and peace instead of worry

These treasures ... hidden in Joseph's 'junk' box ...
filled out home with laughter

Take two ... thanks to a patient eye doctor ...
I have to look at and through them every day!

Adam's first dental check-up ...
of course he wanted to go first!

Date with Dad ... he always chooses french fries ...
just like his Mama!

She speaks English ...
gave us a discount for the gift of this picture ...
free advertising for the whole family!

I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  ... You fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand!
Psalm 16:8,11
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment