Want to sign up to our Newsletter?

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Piddling About

Listening to his "soul"!
A few weeks ago I jotted down this contemplative thought, "How does one rest when there are things to do?"  As I sit with coffee in hand, my intended savoring His presence time, instead I'm catching up on emails,  jotting notes to plan this or that and pacing about needing to reheat my coffee for the second time!  This past week, Jedidiah and Adam had vacation from school which drew my thinking to one of a blissful fairy tale.  Sleeping in past the alarm and waking from my dreamland stupor wrapped in my soulmates arms to the delicious aroma of coffee, bacon and toast ... Snuggling on the couch with my sleepy eyed boys as they peacefully wake up gleefully sharing the silliness of their star kissed dreams ... Rainy afternoons playing games where everyone has something to laugh about and not a care who wins or looses ... Watching late night movies snuggled on the couch with popcorn and pajamas that we stayed in all day ... It's a magical place really where there is no wash that needs done, the bathrooms smell deliciously fragrant all the time and whatever our taste buds desire is set before us to feast upon. 

Unfortunately, this week did not go according to my fairy tale inspired mindset simply because ... there was work to be done.  Even when the daily list was checked off, I still had this nervous "piddling about" action ... you know what I'm talking about? Wiping the counter, putting piles on the steps to go upstairs, organizing this and that ... Motion, just because I felt like I should be doing instead of resting.  I could hear my mind echoing a phrase I coined when Jedidiah is doing this very thing, piddling about, "Jedidiah, get a book!" (a.k.a. stop pacing around, sit down and read!)  I had too much on my mind yet I felt like I was pacing around the house with the sole purpose of doing, planning, moving. In the absurdity of my thinking, if I wasn't doing, someone might catch me doing something I shouldn't be doing, resting!

This is absurd! Can I get an A.MEN?!  "How does one rest when there's work to be done?" I asked again.  In that moment it was like I stepped through the cloud into fairy tale land ... I was seeing it 3rd person while feeling it 1st person.  I rested blissfully against His chest, the faintest breeze kissed my cheeks and tousled my hair, there was complete freedom to just be - rest - while His light permeated me and was radiating to those around me. He very patiently and tenderly tipped my chin to look full in my face and stated,  "If you feel like you have to still do while I call you to rest, that's disobedience." ... He wiped the tear of repentance that trickled from my eye and reminded me ... whether I'm surrounded by chaos or solitude, He is my hiding place, He surrounds me with songs of deliverance. My soul can rest in His sweet presence, even when there is work to be done.

Feast on His Word ... Bask in His presence ... Find rest O my soul in God alone! 

Life on the Mountain
Celebrating CR Independence day with Parades, Lanterns and mouthing our way through the National Hymn again ... Sharing tears as we said good-bye to Alcedes a church "grandpa" who called the boys "my grandsons" ... Welcoming a new crew of leaders for our next Vida220 ... Teaching first aid to high-schoolers, made me realize how much I miss that lingo! ... Beach day with the youth group for M & J ... Seeing our van's motor being rebuilt step by step and feeling grateful for a loaned vehicle while we wait ... Last minute invitation to a Soccer game and swimming at the local Castle (Country club) with our dear neighbors ... Taking time to watch an afternoon movie and basking in His presence, finding rest for our souls even when there is work to be done.

Praises
Loaned vehicle while ours is being repaired
Neighbors who allow us to use their washer while ours is being repaired
Lunch with seasoned missionaries who speak life and wisdom into our hearts
A school opportunity for Jedi and Adam to attend part time while on home leave
Friends who want to hear our heart and love us through the challenges
Each of you for your faithful support, affirmation and wise counsel

Prayers
Home leave details and plans
Finding rest for our souls
To speak life giving words that build each other up
The start of a new Vida220 training, God's heart to be revealed
Restoration of family relationships for our neighbors, Father show us how to be a bridge for them
Daryl and I, communication, patience and team work
Unity in our leadership team as we're in different countries

Parade of Faroles (lanterns) a Costa Rica tradition

7:00 a.m. ready for action ...
playing the beat of their heart!

"Drummer with attitude" ...
Sunglasses to keep the glare from his drum out of his eyes!

"Herding cats" ... Prefirst drum corps!

Too excited for this hour ...
And why not, a day with friends awaits! 

Big boys playing at the beach ...
Never grow up, young at heart!

Occupying his time on vacation ... Mom said, "not more tech"
... No piddling about!

Of course he made home made pizza for supper! 

Relaxing in the pool at "The Castle"

Sheltering from the downpour as we walked The Castle grounds

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. Psalm 62:5-6











2 comments: