Want to sign up to our Newsletter?

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Being Present

Happy 49th Dad!
"Wait a minute, let me finish my thought" ... "I just need a minute to respond to this text" ... finger held up in silence to halt the approaching interruption ... "Can't you see, I'm talking to someone?" ...  I look at the pile of cords tangled like last years Christmas lights, each ones ending destination vies for my attention. The screen glares at me causing my eyes to squint, strain and contemplate my response. An emoji response to a text, directions, a recipe, a verse, taking a picture, sending a picture, looking up a translation, sending a voice text, googling an answer to a random or nagging question ... the screen has the answer! My thumbs are stiff, (perhaps my joint issues) perhaps the screens fault. My cervical spine is misshapen from my downward gazing, my eyes strained and the info to my brain jumbled. If I can't stand the distraction why is it so tempting? 

I set a goal the beginning of the year. To only answer necessary texts after 6:00 pm. If a response can wait until tomorrow, it should. I want to be present in the moment. I want to look at those talking to me, listen intently and respond patiently.  This goal was a valiant effort to be more present when family is present. It's been challenging and I've often forgot. In a world full of distractions these moments of being present are life giving to ones soul. My desire to be present equates to those moments when His gaze is for me. You know those moments when chaos and distractions surround you, everyone wants a response now, your attention is fixed on the screen as you answer without looking up and all of a sudden ... Someone calls your name in a way that causes you to stop, taking your breath away, and causing you look up to see His gaze drawing you in.  That's it, that's the kind of being present I want to emit. To be the hands, feet, ears and eyes of Jesus to a world that is hungry for life giving attention. To be the kind answer that turns away wrath, to be the laugh that eases the the embarrassment of mispronunciation, to be the joy when sadness attempts to overwhelm, to be the hope when the pit seems deep ... to be present reflecting Him.

 Being present ... Laying down my device ... Reflecting His gaze 

Life on the Mountain
Celebrating another year of life with my soulmate and bed warmer, Happy 49th to my dream come true! ... Finding freedom to share our hearts as we receive counsel from Mimi ... Sending Micah and Joseph off to the jungle for 3 days with the youth group, so much life and stories to share ... Life is SO different with only two mighty men under our roof ... Field trip x 2 ... The blessing of a morning alone in the house and the feeling that I needed a whole day ... Sharing life with the women of El Nido on their turf in La Cuenca ... Friday night supper at the Hoovers, Pork BBQ for a crowd. The joys of living in community ... Soccer Saturday started for Adam ... School projects, hair cuts, counselor appointment, reading, errands and the challenge of deciding on a family movie night. Here's to the hope of practicing being present ...

Praises
Celebrating life
Safe delivery of another El Nido baby
Ministry trip to the jungle with youth
Connections
Gift of trained counselors who care

Prayers
To be present
Slow to speak, quick to listen
Best friend for Jedidiah
Summer plans for Micah participating in Go Honduras
To take time for each other
Holy Spirit empowered change from the inside out
Happy Birthday tradition for Daryl ...
The gift of this Quickie Sticky Recipe has changed my life! ... 

Celebrating April Birthday's ...
#22, 26, 20, 47, 49

At least the Coke was sugar free! ...
Community living, thanks uncle Vinny!

Of course he's bored shopping with Mom ...
"Cone of shame"

Hmmm ... He's such a ham! 

Heading to the Jungle ...
Bug spray and boots required

Sharon Guadelupe ... 2 days old ...
My heart is full!

Eating a Candy cane wearing Candy cane glasses ...

Practicing his drills and skills

Which one of these is not like the other ones? ...
He loved every minute of it!
Free golf clubs ... Sort of a belated birthday gift!

"Let Your presence overtake my heart" ...
Show me Lord, how to be present to those Your heart loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment