Want to sign up to our Newsletter?

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Listening to Hear

"It's like one of those things what
helps you hear!"
Today I cleaned out my ears. As if that would help me hear better.  I sit. I listen. I pay attention to what they're saying, however my sense of hearing seems diminished. My ears are sensitive, they don't like loud, shrill sounds in closed in areas.  They prefer the gentle whisper of their Creator to the commanding clap of thunderous direction.  As one who has been given the gift of gab, spending time in insightful conversation has always been freeing, delightful and heartfelt.  As I listen, I don't claim to have an answer for everyone nor do I feel the need to self righteously spew words of wisdom to the anticipating patron.  However, when I am left speechless, without response, to their heartfelt pouring out, it causes me to ponder my ability to hear.  What am I missing, why am I not hearing His words for them?  I try to practice His presence, sitting quietly, listening, being present with Him. Sometimes I think I have to much 'stuff' filling the space between my ears that I have a hard time quieting 'that space' to listen, truly hear.  Recently, my hearing has felt like today's weather ... clouded, gray and muffled by the pouring rain. 

This past week I've listened to countless "Days of Our Lives" as staff and students shared their testimonies.  As I listened, I waited for Father to give me words of affirmation, encouragement and challenge to share.  However most times I left these sessions feeling like my mind had overeaten and all I wanted to do was lay down in a quiet room until that fullness subsided enough to be able to eat (hear) again.  Why were there no words of encouragement to pray over them like the satisfying sweetness of dessert to finish off the meal?  As I listened to a dear friend share about her struggling marriage, I waited patiently for His Word to come to mind ... lamentably, silence ensued.  "I will pray", was all that eeked out of my tear stained countenance.   I don't want to merely listen and walk away, I want their words to affect me, to change me, to cause a deeper introspection into the words that cloud my mind.  I want to do more than just listen ... I want to hear!

And with that simple statement, my ears began to open again ... Father, I don't want to merely listen to Your word and walk out my door.  I need YOUR Word to affect me, to change me, to cause a deeper introspection into the words that cloud my mind!   You see, if my listening has a "time limit, feels the need to respond or a self righteous wait till you hear my great response" attitude, I'm not truly hearing.  Ouch, stepping on the toes of yours truly ... If I want to hear, I need to take the time to hear and not rush through sitting in His presence, reading his words, repeating my list of petitions and out the door.   Obediently sitting in His presence, He speaks.  Am I positioning myself to hear?

Listening to hear ... No response necessary ... Absorbing His life giving Word

Life on the Mountain
They came and fullness of life on the base started once again! ... Father, speak Your truth to each ones heart.  Let Your spirit overwhelm us, let Your presence overtake our hearts ... Our van had an overnight in the garage to make sure it's running well after having it's engine rebuilt ... Laughter in the Kitchen to keep me lighthearted ... Friday community time, playing in the park and futbol ... Taking time to hear.

Praise
Osny coming home from the hospital
Time to celebrate premarital bliss
Sunday afternoon nap ... can't believe I slept that long!
'She' sees Jesus' love in us and believes in the miracle of prayer
The life that comes from the start of a new Vida220 training

Prayer
Complete healing for Osny
Complete healing for Daryl, is it allergies or something else?
Healing for Adam, fever and upset stomach
As we transition for home leave October 26th
Grace and wisdom as we train others to fill our positions here
Friends walking through marital struggles, pray for a miracle


Yeah, Declan's home ... And he's talking a lot! 

They've been begging for a play date after school ...
Can we ride the bus together? 

Invented IV pole ...
Whatever works to get the medicine flowing! 


Getting in shape ...
While the boys played futbol, Adam did the exercise circuit!


And rode on the bike ramps!

Measuring the gas tank! ...
Fever and a rainy Saturday afternoon ...
Perfect day for a 2 hour nap!   
Grandma's casita on the end of our house ...
 One big cozy family! 




No comments:

Post a Comment